Friday, September 09, 2005

Old School?

I used to make fun of my parents and some of their friends when they would listen to the "oldies" station because it truly pointed out their age. I also told myself that I would probably suffer from instant depression the first time I heard one of the songs I got down to on the Oldies station. Thankfully it hasn't happened yet (at least not that I know of, since my radio rejects those stations for its owner's sanity). However, lately I've been listening to the radio when the DJs say "here's an old school jam for all of ya'll," only to end up playing something, that to me at least, is not what I would consider old School.

For example, just this morning on my way to work, the DJ said that same line then started playing "Juicy" by Biggie. I've heard that line used before songs like "Ditty," "Dear Mama," anything by DMX, and LL Cool J. Since when is like 6-8 years ago old school? I thought old school meant like way back in the day at least 15 years ago. Damn when the hell did I become "Old School?" I mean I know I'm getting old and shit but shit I'm only 26!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ditty" is an oldy but goody. Mixed CD worthy for sure...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

i'm no authority on what is old school, but i think anything that i used to jam in highschool is old school. Like summertime by will smith, that's old school, jump around is old school, so on and so forth. Now that i think about it i feel really old. I'm two years older than you rican and trust me, it only goes down.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

I've heard radio DJ's try to say that anything more than five years old is "old school." One of the radio stations back in NY used to have this little soundbite they played before "old school" joints: "Back in the day...Brooklyn...1999." And I would be like, "1999? Wasn't that like when I was still in college? Isn't old school supposed to be some long forgotten era?"

But you know, there's a whole generation of kids out there who think Mase was a one-hit-wonder with that "Welcome Back" shit. I guess we have to accept that we're getting old school.

(p.s. anything that you remember jamming to on the cassette tape is definitely old school.)

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter