Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Free Lunch?

My tax professor for the past two years used to say there is no such thing as a free lunch (although I think he was talking about the IRS but who cares). You know what? Obviously, that fool never joined any of the numerous groups around law school. If you plan your shit right, you could count on eating free at least once a week on the law school's dime (at least you could at mine).

I didn't really learn this trick until about my second semester of my second year so I missed out on a lot. After I found out you could eat free all the time I became the most well rounded law student in law school. One week I was a Federalist student, the next I was in Democrats in Law School. I think in one week alone I was Black, Latino and Indian just to get free pizza, subs you name it. I think I was even on the email list for the lesbian and gay society, the environmental law society, and the Jewish law society. I never really cared too much for any of these organizations (except for the Latino one since I'm the one that had to get the pizza and look at those damn moochers eating our shit just because it was there), BUT when it came time for food, you know my ass was standing up for whatever that particular organization was about. Shit, I even think I told someone that I voted for Bush because he asked me in the line to get food.

The other one to keep an eye out is for career services. They seem to put up free lunch signs all the time. Homer, Nugget, and I went 3 days straight with free food. We basically went in took some food and left in the middle of the presentation because we had class. So my dear 1Ls who wonder what groups they should join my advice is simply, join them all (at least their e-mail lists). Chances are you will be able to laugh at your tax professor who missed out on the free lunch!

5 Comments:

Blogger Homer said...

Are you missing law school?
-Ghostwriter

11:13 AM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

ahh those were the days. The best one was when we were there to support the farmers. We eat that pizza right quick and left early, and there were only 12 people there. No shame. I do miss that shit. If i'm not mistaken for that month we probably averaged free lunch 2-3 times per week for a month.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Homer said...

haha oh yes, the agricultral law meeting... too funny....

nothing beats trying to act interested in what the peeps are saying when allu can think is "man, this is some fine ass pizza"

4:51 PM  
Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

I don't know what your school was like, but I have been eating *and* getting drunk for free. When you're as ambiguous-looking as me, you can break bread with all the minorities. Once that December 1st embargo is lifted on firm recruiting I will be tearing that shit up.

12:08 AM  
Blogger DannyNoonan said...

The saying "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" (TANSTAAFL)was first said in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein. It's about a moon colony made up of Earth criminals and their children (now several generations removed from Earth) staging a revolution and becoming independent. It is very libertarian in tone and closely echoes the sentiments of the founding fathers of the Unites States (they even use an old copy of the Declaration of Independence as their declaration of independence).

TANSTAAFL is the motto of the lunar folk. When the main character, Manuel O'Kelly is explaining it to an Earth person after a rather odd civil trial in which Manuel acts as judge (for a fee, of course), he takes him to a restaurant where lunch is in fact "free." However, drinks cost twice as much. And the drinks are mandatory.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter