Tuesday, September 06, 2005

First Day of School

Oh wait, it's not my first day since I already graduated. It feels a tad strange (ok more than just a tad but I don't want to sound like that old guy that can't say goodbye) and depressing for me not to be in school right now. With the exception of a year between law school and undergrad I have been in school for 19 years (damn!). It's a good thing I still have friends in school to live vicariously through and get me through my slight depression.

Naturally there are some things I miss more than others. I don't miss being the first person called on in class on the first day. See law school has this shitty habit of assigning homework BEFORE school starts. I also don't miss the $500 a semester that you have to spend around the first day of school for books that you might not even read (but they sure are impressive in my office).

I do miss the anticipation of getting to class early to scope out the good seats. You know the kind I'm talking about. They are the seats next to the hot girl (or guy whatever floats your boat) in the class and if that's not available, then the seats at the back of the class that allow you to play online (and watch movies) w/o being distracting too many people (really w/o anyone knowing what you are watching). Cause you know you don't want to end up in the front few rows with the gunners and tightwads.

I miss walking into class my first year and seeing whether or not you got lucky in your small group. Whether or not you were rewarded with cool good looking people, which I did because we had an unusually high number of attractive women and cool people in my group. I also miss walking into class and sizing up your classmates. You know you do that. You look at everyone and try to determine whether they are smarter than you or not, whether they will be the gunner of the class, or whether they will bring up the curve.

Man I can't believe I ain't in class today. This is a sad day in Rican world. This is the day I realize that I am no longer a student. Now I have a real job with real shit to worry about. What I'm trying to say is everyone who is going back to school (or already has) enjoy it damn it. Before you know you will be the old guy at the bar talking about blogging and blogging about how much you miss school.

5 Comments:

Blogger Janelle Renee said...

Don't forget the money! I bet there are plenty of students out there who would trade places with you in a heart beat!

Buck up little camper. : )

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

I never really appreciated the whole school thing when I was an undergrad. After four years of working though, I'm definitely enjoying that first-week-of-school buzz. But shit, how they gonna stick a tall bitch like me with a bottom row locker?

12:18 AM  
Blogger FreakinRican said...

Damn Kim that sucks that they stuck the tall chick with the bottom locker. If you go to school in the great white North they give you a full length locker, I mean you gotta have somewhere to fit you snowshoes on the hike to school.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

SAD SAD SAD. I miss school too. It's really stupid and sad. Remember those first few weeks? Remember Palay? Remember Kidwell, Schacter, Shultz? I miss the mental game especially with my favorite profs. We were really lucky first semester - minus one. And we all thought we had him beat after his exam. Boy did he mess with us.

Where is your Rehnquist memorial post? Ha ha.

8:16 PM  
Blogger FreakinRican said...

Maria - I was going to write a memoir about Rehnquist but then I remembered that he doesn't really like minorities so I forgot all about it ;-)

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter