Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Community Relations?

Many of you know that I work in a really small town (like 2,000 people). Part of being a firm in a small town is doing stuff in the community to drum up walk-in business. There is a little Farmer's Market in this town every Saturday. One of my bosses told, eh I mean asked me to volunteer this past Saturday passing out free BBQ to the locals. I had a million things I would have rather done, but I knew he wanted me to do this so I agreed. Besides it was only for about 3 hours so I could still do the things that still needed to be done.

I called the guy coordinating the BBQ and told him I was coming. In a deep Texas drawl, he said, "Glad to have ya on board." Already, I knew this was going to be an adventure. When people talk to me on the phone, I don't sound Rican since I don't have an accent and I annunciate. However, when they see me, there is no denying I'm brown. His first comment to me when he actually met me was, "man you don't look like you're from Puerta Ricah." I assured him that I was, put on an apron and began serving BBQ.

The food went over great and the small town folks loved it. I passed around numerous business cards that were probably used for napkins. In fact, I saw 2 that had BBQ stains on them in the garbage can while we were cleaning up. Anyways, after the food was finished, I helped clean up. I was taking down the tent that was set up. I untied 3 knots but struggled with the 4th. Texas boy saw me strugglin' and, in an apparent brain malfunction says, "Why don't you just cut the string? Don't all Puerta Ricahns carry knives or some kind of switchblade?" Welcome to small town Wisconsin folks!

8 Comments:

Blogger Spexial said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! who's throwing race around like it's nothing now(remember yesterday punk)...hahaha 2 funny...that's just what your ass gets...your own shyt coming right back 2 you...

you know i'm laughing like hell right?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Moral Turpitude said...

So did you pull out your switchblade and cut it?

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn diversity.
See what happens when you let Texans into small town Wisconsin.
There goes the neighborhood!

Seriously though, if something like this rattles you and makes you think less of the town because of the comments by a dummy, maybe you should start looking for a job in a bigger community where you'd feel more comfortable? Either that, or you'd better get quick with your snappy comebacks. Something tells me if you would have dished it right back to the Texan, you would have ultimately felt better and maybe shut him up earlier (?) Just a thought...

4:32 PM  
Blogger FreakinRican said...

Oh anon it didn't faze me at all. I actually thought it was funny. I said to him that the knife I carry would scare small town white America so I left him at home. I then asked him about which pick up with the gun rack in the parking lot was his.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lmao! Good for you.
Really enjoy reading your blog.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

He did NOT say that!!! Wow, I love idiots.

10:37 AM  
Blogger shoes said...

how racially insentsitive of him. doesnt he know that all pr's carry shivs. what a shitkickin, horse ridin jackoff.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Puerto Rican Angel said...

Oh hell no!!!! Now thats some funny ass shyt!!! SO...did he really have a pick up with a gun rack?

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter