Friday, August 19, 2005

First Impression

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." For the life of me I can't remember where that is from but I think it's from some toothpaste or gum commercial. Anyways, as most of you know I got a Baby Rican on the way soon so along with that comes the parenting classes before birth where they teach you stuff about labor, breathing, father's role, etc. We had class yesterday and naturally the Rican made a great first day impression.

The lady started by having everyone introduce themselves to the class and say a little about themselves. That was easy enough and we got through that quick. Next, came the power point presentation about the different stages of labor and what the body is doing to get ready for Baby Rican. Cool, at this point I'm still very interested and learning a lot. Then we go to the "breathing techniques."

I'm sure all of you know the standard one that you always hear. The closest thing I can think of to relate it in words is "puff, puff, give" but obviously with breathing and not weed. The teacher has everyone close their eyes and practice that and after a few minutes everyone seems to get it down. She lets us breathe like that for a few more minutes to learn the "feeling" of active breathing (I thought anyone who is breathing is actively breathing, apparently I was wrong).

Next she teaches us the deep "relaxation breathing." She again has us close our eyes to practice this technique. At this point, we had been in class for over 2 hours and since I wake up every morning before the damn roosters, I was very tired/sleepy. It did not help that there was slow classical music in the background and the lights were turned off. Without a moment's notice, the Rican starts snoring (I snore like a mutha so this is not a surprise and it usually takes me about 3 seconds to fall asleep and begin snoring). I snore so loud that I wake myself up. I looked around to see some people laughing and another guy give me the man I'm glad it wasn't me look. The teacher ended up turning the lights back on and turning the music up a little bit. Finally, after watching a birth, the class ended. As I was getting our stuff, I made eye contact with some people and got the distinct feeling that they were thinking, "THAT guy is going to be a father?" I couldn't agree with them more myself ;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Gold Nugget said...

This could only happen to you. Fortunately for me, my wife didn't feel the need to go those classes, therefore i was off the hook. It only takes me a few secs to go to sleep as well but the snoring only happens when i have a pillow. Just don't fall asleep during the long hours of labor. I hope u dont' erase this coment. hahaha

7:28 AM  
Blogger Joey said...

That had me laughing out loud!! So so funny!

Good job.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Puerto Rican Angel said...

LMAO!!! Oh my god no you didn't!!! Why is it only this kind of thing happens to you??? Don't feel so bad, I once feel asleep when someoe was talking to me face to face about something serious!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Janelle Renee said...

I'm sure you won't be sleeping when it counts. Good thing she wasn't sleeping during class!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter