Friday, July 22, 2005

Protesters

Cherry and Adrian both had posts today about protesters. I guess UW used to be a big time protest school back in the day so people who've grown up around here are kind of used to it. Even know you get people on State Street protesting about something or other. I never got the whole protest thing. Perhaps if I felt that strongly about something I might protest but I guess I just don't feel that strongly about anything (except free food in law school).

Here's the thing though, every time I see a protest or walk by a protest it makes me want to do exactly the opposite of what the people are protesting. If I see people protesting that KFC kills chickens using inhumane methods I'm likely to walk by them to pick up a Bucket of the Colonel's finest extra crispy. If people start protesting butchers and meat products, I'm probably going to start thinking about hitting up Chili's for an Oldtimer Burger. If someone is telling me that I'm going to hell for not subscribing to whatever they happen to preach that day, I'm likely to ask them how come someone who kills and maims people can go to heaven by being "saved" but I'm going to hell because I walked by you and didn't stop to chat on my way to Chipotle?

There is something to be said for people who are truly passionate about whatever cause seems to be floating their boat, let's just hope the Rican doesn't happen to walk by them and punch a hole in the stern. Man talking about all this food has made me hungry. Extra crispy anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:01 AM  
Blogger DannyNoonan said...

"Here's the thing though, every time I see a protest or walk by a protest it makes me want to do exactly the opposite of what the people are protesting."

This is so true for me too. I have become so much more conservative since I moved to Madison (although I would still consider myself a true moderate). There are just so many crazy goof-ball dirty hippie liberals that they just drown out the reasonable left to the point that I forget it's there.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter