Friday, July 08, 2005

Leftovers

I have differing opinions on leftovers. There are days where I really enjoy leftovers like leftover pizza is good stuff or pasta that has a chance to let the sauce seep further into the pasta that's good stuff too. Then there are days when they just make me sick like left over mashed potatoes or taco bell. I can't ever tell how I'm going to feel about them one day to the next but I know growing up it was looked down upon not to eat the leftovers or finish the food on your plate.

I guess I can understand that some people are just old school and don't think food should go to waste. However, that's just not the way (at least I think) people are now. I think that people are freaked out by diseases if you leave the food out too long or are just plain spoiled and want some fresh food everyday. I'm sure everyone's parents used to use that whole "well there are starving children in Somalia, Ethiopia, or whatever 3rd World African country Sally Struthers was pitching for at the time, that would love to have just a little bit of the food you refuse to eat" or "when I was younger I grew up poor and we just ate what we could." You know what I can't help what it was like when you were younger but I can help that we can eat fresh stuff everyday now. And as far as those starving kids are concerned, you can send them the leftovers since they really aren't leftovers for them. Since they didn't eat it the previous 2 days it's like a new meal for them so we can kill 2 birds with one stone. No more starving children in a Sally Struthers sponsored country who appreciate food that they think is fresh and not leftover and we get a fresh meal every day? How does that sound? Am I the only one that grew up in this crazy way?

7 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

OH MY GOD FREAKIN RICAN. Who can forget those Sally Struthers commericals!! I just hope my 85 year old grandmother isn't reading this post. She leaves things in the frig so long she has a "marker" to mark the top of the container. (e.x.=last tuesdays pork and beans.)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

And left over COLD Philly Steak Sandwiches at 6:00 in the morning do it for me!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Spexial said...

lmao!!!! that is soooo true..and furthermore i can send the leftover food off this damn plate over to the starving people..although i feel bad for them...lol

it feels so good to not have to sit at the table until all your food was gone...lmao!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Spexial said...

i meant to say that i "can't" send the leftovers to them...

12:16 PM  
Blogger Moral Turpitude said...

My leftovers never even make it to the next meal. GARGANTUAN.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I think Sally Struthers was eaten the food that was meant for the children...SHE GOT BIG. I can't stop laughing about this one.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Janelle Renee said...

I am reminded of a quote from a book I read (I think it was called Feeding the Hungry Heart:

Would you rather the food be "wasted" by being thrown in the trash, or "waisted" by hanging out around your midsection?

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter