Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Asshole of the Week

I think I'm going to start a new thing on my blog. I'm going to start a weekly post on the asshole of the week. It can come from anywhere and it can be anyone. If you have any suggestions as to who you think should be the asshole next week, let me know now.

This week's asshole is non other than John Rocker. Here's a little bit of background on this colorful individual. He was a good pitcher for the Atlanta Braves in the late 90's and then one year he decided he was going to blast all the Mets fans and the people of NY by mocking the way Asian women drive, calling out "faggots" and all the damn foreigners in NY and basically saying they are pieces of shit. Naturally, people didn't like being called out like this so he gets shit wherever he goes. His career basically fizzled after the article came out and now he is pitching in some independent baseball league trying to make it back to the Majors.

The reason why this guy is the asshole this week is for this quote right here, "I've taken a lot of crap from a lot of people. Probably more than anybody in the history of this sport. I know Hank [Aaron] and Jackie [Robinson] took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?" Dude how the hell can you compare yourself to Jackie Robinson or Hank Aaron. Both of these men lived in a time when they received death threats because of the color of their skin not because of the stupid shit that came out of their mouth. They feared for the life every time they went out and in Robinson's case he often was not even allowed to eat in the same restaurants as his white teammates. Congratulations John Rocker on being my inaugural Asshole of the Week!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger chardrian said...

I read the same article, and thought the exact same thing when I saw that. In some cases you can't help but think thank god for blown shoulders.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Janelle Renee said...

What an excellent choice and great idea to have "asshole of the week"!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Moral Turpitude said...

I enjoyed your first installment of asshole of the week although I don't know how I ended up on the computer and on your website. Last thing I remember I was trying to study. Blast these distractions!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

If Rocker continues on the same path he's on now, he'll have one thing in common with Robinson - he'll be dead. Did you hear the story about how he wanted to go after one of the fans that had been heckling him at a game? I don't understand...why would anyone heckle Rocker?

I also applaud your choice of AOTW; lord knows in this world there'll always be plenty to choose from.

9:15 AM  
Blogger FreakinRican said...

Patrick: I did hear that. I also heard that he heckled the fan back by saying something like well I'm still a millionare and you aren't. Man that's like well I'm rubber your glue whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on to you!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter