Tuesday, March 01, 2005

College Sports and new academic standards?

The NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association for those of you who don't know) has issued new guidelines for schools to follow tying scholarships offered to athletes and graduation rates. Now at first glance this sounds like a noble effort at an important topic. After all only about 1% of all college athletes are going to play professional sports so what is the other 99% to do besides get an education right?

The problem is my cynical side is saying that this is just a cover up to make themselves look good. The academic guidelines for college athletes are a joke as it is anyway. I believe all you have to have to continue playing is something like a 1.75 GPA, that's like a C minus. That's can't be all that hard to get right? Well let me give you a little insight of how it was at my esteemed undergraduate institution.

I chose a major that was obviously going to get me far in the real world, Organizational Communications. Can anyone tell me what the hell that means cause I sure can't (which makes for an interesting answer out of my mouth when interviewers ask me what it means). It was the major selected by the majority of athletes and cheerleaders. Now I'm not trying to suggest that those people aren't smart but hear me out. I had classes with one of our "premier" football players (who is black) and come test time a mysterious white guy with the same name always seemed to sit in his seat and take his tests...hmm interesting. Point number two, my boy J-dub had a class with a player on our basketball team (that was shitty back in the day) and he gave him the scantron already filled out before the test was even handed out...hmm how does he know the answers already?

Like I said, I applaud the NCAA for the effort but give me a f--cking break if I have a little bit of a cynical view on this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it your school did not have an honor code?

8:03 AM  
Blogger FreakinRican said...

The funny thing is our school did have an honor code, but both of these classes were small sections where the teachers knew the students.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter