Saturday, February 12, 2005

Valentine's Day

Well folks it's that time of year again. The time where florists make half of their yearly profits (mother's day is the other) on the sale of flowers. I'm not fond of this holiday at all. I have been lucky enough or unlucky (depending on your point of view) to not ever be single around this holiday. I actually had the audacity to break up with a girl before Christmas and get back together with her after Valentine's Day (I swear I didn't plan it but God was looking out for a brotha that year) but I digress.

I think this holiday is total rubbish. This is a day randomnly selected by the retail, greeting card and floral industries to help them make money between the boom of the Holiday Season and Easter. I mean why on earth do we need a special day to tell our spouses, significant others or ourselves (for those of you that are asexual) that we love, care, cherish, etc them?

I guess the way I see it you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you are single around this time of year, then there is the added pressure of feeling like a loser since you don't have anyone to share this day with (not that you are a loser, the world just makes you feel like one). If you aren't single, then you are forced to either pay an insane amount of money from some shrubbery that will die in a week (romantic huh), or outdo yourself from the previous years so you don't get branded by your spouse as being boring. This is a completely idiotic holiday and I say we should all just protest and not buy cards, flowers, candy, etc. I myself am writing off Valentine's completely!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter