Monday, February 14, 2005

Grammy Recap

I didn't exactly watch all of the Grammys because I was flipping back and forth between this and some redneck comedy tour thing that was hilarious (funniest line of the night came from Larry the Cable Guy, "A cop pulled me over and asked me if I had been drinking and I said why is there a fat girl in my back seat?"). Here's my observations from the part of the Grammys I did watch:

Congrats to the late great Ray Charles. It seems to me that sometimes these award shows give awards to people post humously only because it's the PC thing to do, but this guy truly deserved it. On the same weekend I saw the movie about his life that should win Jaime Foxx a best actor Oscar, I realized that I missed out on a lot being born so much later after a lot of his music came out. I'm definitely going to cop his music. Simply Put, this guy was just a pure talent.

I'm usually not that big of a fan of a bunch of people collaborating for one night and singing each other's songs and the Grammys are famous for this. However, watching Usher and James Brown dance was just amazing (I know this sounds gay). I'm really into watching people who can break it down like that and I think the only way this could have been better would be if old school Michael Jackson came out and did "Thriller".

Last thoughts...I thought the "Sweet Home Alabama" performance that included some country people was pretty tight. I'm not a big fan of country music but I enjoyed that. Also after seeing Tim McGraw in concert earlier this year I expected more from him, I thought his solo performance and his "cumbaya" song for the tsunami relief was weak. What did everyone else think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter